Dating lauson engines
In 1950, Clinton purchased a 200,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in Maquoketa, Iowa, built five years previously for a manufacturer of farm equipment.
During the company’s operation, it was one of the largest suppliers of these engines.
Although Clinton engines were used principally on power lawn mowers, hundreds of original-equipment manufacturers used Clinton engines on their power equipment.
Among the thousands of applications in which Clinton engines played a vital role were garden tillers, paint sprayers, post-hole augers, tractors, well-drilling equipment, rail-spike hammers, sprayers, compressors, emergency generators, and many other areas for home, industry, and agriculture.
One of the largest outlets for Clinton engines was the power lawn mower market — an estimated two-thirds of the corporation’s engines went into this field.
In addition, Clinton also produced complete lines of chainsaws and air-cooled outboards from 3 to 9.9 horsepower engines at the Maquoketa, Iowa, plant.
Ideal for fishing, trolling and cruising, they could provide stand-by auxiliary power for small and medium-sized sailboats, as well as for dinghies, canoes, or any type of wood, fiberglass or aluminum craft.